[Spice-devel] shared folders in Windows with QEMU/KVM ?

Victor Toso victortoso at redhat.com
Wed May 31 12:32:37 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 02:06:42PM +0200, Robert Grasso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a senior Linux sysadmin, and I am just discovering QEMU/KVM at home,
> where I am using Virtualbox on Ubuntu 16.04. So far, I must say I like it !
> Many years ago, Qemu was a pain : it is a miracle, the improvement is
> unbelievable ! My warmest congratulations to everybody who has worked so
> hard !

Awesome :)

> At work, I am administering VSphere and VMware Workstation.
>
> So far, I am not digging into QEMU/KVM internals, rather discovering it as
> an end-user (just to try and see if I can advertise it at work, for my
> non-IT users)
>
> I imported successfully an Ubuntu 16.04 vm from VB to QEMU/KVM, and I can
> drag-and-drop a file from the host to the VM : amazing !
>
> I imported successfully my Windows 7 guest and my Windows 10 guest (some
> filesystem issues with Windows 7 which I fixed, none with Windows 10),
> installed the spice guest tools in both from here :
>
> https://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-guest-tools/spice-guest-tools-latest.exe
>
> and I can resize the display nicely.
>
> I am having an issue with the shared folders, which "do not work" : what I
> did :
>
> - in virt-manager, I enabled the channel org.spice-space.webdav.0
> - in the guest, I installed space-webdavd from here :
> https://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-webdavd/
>
> - I read
> Spice User Manual
> https://www.spice-space.org/spice-user-manual.html

Yes, all looks correct.

> Now :
> - from this manual, I do not see where I can find this : "Use the
> remote-viewer "File" → "Preferences" menu to enable it"

I think the spice-gtk package in ubuntu does not have the shared folder
enabled by default. The option would be --enable-webdav and it depends
on libphodav and higher versions of glib and libsoup.

Well, at least it does not seem to depend on libsoup for instance
https://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/libspice-client-glib-2.0-dev

> - I do not find which command provides the option --spice-share-dir : man -K
> spice-share-dir does not yield any result, whereas man -K spice does; and I
> guess I installed almost every (?) available virt* and qemu* package from
> the Ubuntu repository;

--spice-share-dir comes from spice-gtk command line options, if its not
present in spice clients such as remote-viewer, virt-viewer,
virt-manager, etc its likely that the spice-gtk that is being used does
not have shared folder support built in

> - in Windows (7 and 10) with an elevated cmd.exe : this bad thing happens :
>
>    C:\WINDOWS\system32>"c:\Program Files\SPICE webdavd\map-drive.bat"
>
>    C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use * http://localhost:9843/
>    System error 67 has occurred.

With the latest version of spice-webdavd you don't need to run
map-drive.bat. As soon as you enable the shared folder in remote-viewer
(for instance) it will be mounted in the guest

>    The network name cannot be found.
>
>    C:\WINDOWS\system32>REG ADD
>    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\##localhost at 9843#DavWWWRoot"
>    /v  "_LabelFromReg" /t REG_SZ /d "Spice client" /f
>    The operation completed successfully.
>
> even if the Spice proxy service is running, as far as I remember - I even
> disabled the firewall.
> and in the Event Viewer (7 and 10) I see regular occurrences of :
>
>    Faulting application name: spice-webdavd.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time
>    stamp: 0x58e61b16
>    Faulting module name: libglib-2.0-0.dll, version: 2.50.1.0, time
>    stamp: 0x695f011a
>    Exception code: 0xc0000005
>    Fault offset: 0x000000000004e5e5
>    Faulting process id: 0x75c
>    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2d9ff6cdd440f
>    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\SPICE
>    webdavd\bin\spice-webdavd.exe
>    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\SPICE
>    webdavd\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll
>    Report Id: 07337de2-e137-49b3-94be-870db95ed5a9
>    Faulting package full name:
>    Faulting package-relative application ID:
>
> Can anybody help ? Is this feature publicly available, or is it still in
> development, or stalled, or dropped ?
>
> Best regards

Feature works well in linux and windows guests but its not heavily used
yet AFAIK.

Your problems seems only the client side, the rest is ok.
If you make it work and find bugs, let us know!

Cheers,
    toso