[Spice-devel] Gitlab - 2018!

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Feb 21 11:21:41 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 04:15:07PM +0100, Victor Toso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There was a thread in 2016 about moving to gitlab [0] which it
> was not complete done. New projects have been started in gitlab
> instead of freedesktop and without notice, some users are even
> filling bugs there already [1].
>
> [0] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2016-September/032456.html
> [1] https://gitlab.com/groups/spice/-/issues
>
> Some issues around this is 'how to do patch review' or 'are we
> going to accept PR'. IMHO, I would like to first move the code
> infrastructure there while keeping our current work flow with ML.

Ok, this was my first question, moving just the infrastructure for now
is fine with me.

> I would like to suggest moving from bugzilla to gitlab issues
> too, in order to centralize code + issues but we don't need to do
> it right away.

Would we be able to migrate the bugs which are on freedesktop to gitlab?

> But I don't think the current state is okay, with code and bugs
> in freedesktop + gitlab.
>

> Please, I would love some feedback with this either way
> (okay/against it). If people don't want to move, we should make
> gitlab's instance a mirror (like github should be, but isn't) and
> use its gitlab-ci while disabling the issues/wiki, etc. and
> moving to freedesktop what was created in gitlab (spice-nsis,
> streaming-agent, maybe more).

For what it's worth, moving these back to freedesktop probably means
finding the right people to ping to get it done ;)

Overall, I would not mind moving to gitlab, as this gives us more
control over the various administrative tasks we want to perform (create
new repos, give commit rights to users, ..).