[Spice-devel] RFC [spice-gtk] session: Allow to delay sending clipboard to the guest

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 17:22:27 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:42:00AM -0500, Marc-André Lureau wrote:

> > (it seems that clipboard system for GTK 4 has been reworked quite a
> > bit - see https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=wip/otte/clipboard
> > - this is already merged into master)
>
> I have not much time to look at the details, but I don't think we
> should rush into changing the behavior of the clipboard in spice only.
> This is more windowing/toolkit level issue.

The impact of doing this in gtk3 would be greater than doing it in SPICE
only, I don't really expect gtk+ people to be open to such a change in
gtk3 at this point. But yes I did not ask, so I could have a nice
surprise ;)
Once again, spice-gtk is a very special gtk+ application in that one of
its features is to let arbitrary code interact with the clipboard. This
is not the case of the case of most gtk+ applications.
I agree with you that some help from the windowing/toolkit would be good
to have, but in this case, I doubt we are going to be able to do better
than managing this in spice-gtk.