[Spice-devel] RFC [spice-gtk] session: Allow to delay sending clipboard to the guest

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 17:35:36 UTC 2018

Hi

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:42:00AM -0500, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> >
> > > (it seems that clipboard system for GTK 4 has been reworked quite a
> > > bit - see https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=wip/otte/clipboard
> > > - this is already merged into master)
> >
> > I have not much time to look at the details, but I don't think we
> > should rush into changing the behavior of the clipboard in spice only.
> > This is more windowing/toolkit level issue.
>
> The impact of doing this in gtk3 would be greater than doing it in SPICE
> only, I don't really expect gtk+ people to be open to such a change in
> gtk3 at this point. But yes I did not ask, so I could have a nice
> surprise ;)

The impact is even bigger if you think that they did it already at the wayland level...

> Once again, spice-gtk is a very special gtk+ application in that one of
> its features is to let arbitrary code interact with the clipboard. This
> is not the case of the case of most gtk+ applications.

spice is proxying the events. You should be aware of what you are running in the guest if you enable clipboard sharing.

fwiw, there are other cases where "arbitrary code" could interact with a clipboard:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6413036/get-current-clipboard-content/6413100#6413100

> I agree with you that some help from the windowing/toolkit would be good
> to have, but in this case, I doubt we are going to be able to do better
> than managing this in spice-gtk.

Yet it is already being solved at a lower level, where you can actually enforce that behaviour.