[Spice-devel] Strange issue with PhotoShop 6

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 10:07:49 UTC 2018

> Hi,
>   trying the lazzo issue I find this issue:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzCo6gxKLyA
>
> Note that the problem does not disappear if you close and open (you can still
> see the garbage on the screen). Also a printscreen inside the VM (so paste
> on mspaint for instance) present the garbage so is not surely a compression
> or server->client error (the corruption seems on the frame buffer too).
> Using a standard VGA (same VM) the problem does not appear.
> I recorded (SPICE_WORKER_RECORD_FILENAME) the screen and the problem happens
> also doing a replay (I can post the file, is only 17MB compressed with xz).
> The selection is made with a dotted line and a XOR operation (you can see
> clearly using an image, the video used a white background).
> The version of Windows is 7. 32 bit display.
>
> Any hint?
> Similar issues?

Digging on looks like Windows issues DRAW_FILL commands with:
- an 8x8 32 bit pattern
- xor rop operation
- a (0,0) offset
Also looks like this is due to the display of informations near the selected area which looks computed entirely by Windows causing the weird garbage on the next xor operation which is supposed to remove the old selection. I can suppose is a problem of the Windows driver sending wrong offsets or some miscomputation on the offset in our canvas code.

Frediano