[Spice-devel] [spice-common v2 3/3] meson: Remove '(default: xxx)' from option description

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 14:43:13 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 09:39:55AM -0300, Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) wrote:

> >> But the current values are not always the default ones.
> >> You'll need to remove all and do the setup without options to
> >> get default values.
> >> If I forgot how I configured meson I need to setup it again in
> >> another directory and do the diff of the 2 outputs or check
> >> the meson_options.txt file.
> >
> > Is this something that people will often need to do? In my opinion, this
> > would belong in meson anyway (eg meson configure -Ucelt051), not in
> > string form in each meson project.
> >

> Again, this is something inherited from the autotools build. 'meson
> configure' does not have any "(default: ...)" in its base options.
>
> I am fine with this patch, but I wonder if for consistency reasons we
> would want to remove the strings from autotools build as well.

autotools and meson are fairly different in their handling of options.
For autotools, they are reset to their default values every time you run
configure, and you have no easy way to know which value a particular
configuration option is set to. With meson, the setting of the options
is persistent and can be queried. If the default value is important, in
my opinion this should be something natively supported by meson, not
something we stick in the help text.