[Spice-devel] [spice-gtk v4 00/13] CD sharing feature

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 12:49:14 UTC 2018

  Hi,

> > Can you summarize the reasons to discard the approach?
> >

> I will try.
>
> The POC of nbd-based cd sharing was on the table. It needed some
> unclear rework to avoid breaking ABI with mainstream spice-server.

--verbose please.

> The solution requires updates in qemu and spice on server side and
> spice and spice-gtk on client side.

Sure.

> Then it is functional with command-line qemu.
> In order to make it available to regular user need to update at least also
> libvirt and virt-manager
> (to add new nbd chanels), remote viewer (to select what to share).

Yes, but for compensation you can drop code emulating usb-storage and
scsi spice-gtk.

> The user experience is also changed - any user (whether it plans to
> share cd in this session or not) have on guest machine several
> additional unloaded drives (to be loaded when the sharing triggered on
> client side).

Yes.  But why is this a problem?  If the user can share one (or maybe
two for both installer and driver) iso images, having that many cdrom
drives in the guest should not cause much confusion, no?

> Current solution is client only (even spice-gtk only), works on any setup
> even with old server side.

So you trade short-term simplification (only spice client update
needed) over long-term maintainance requirements (all the additional
usb/scsi emulation code in spice-gtk).  I don't think this is a good
idea.

cheers,
  Gerd