[Spice-devel] [spice-gtk v4 00/13] CD sharing feature

Yuri Benditovich yuri.benditovich at daynix.com
Wed Sep 19 13:34:34 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 3:49 PM, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel at redhat.com> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> > > Can you summarize the reasons to discard the approach?
> > >

> > I will try.
> >
> > The POC of nbd-based cd sharing was on the table. It needed some
> > unclear rework to avoid breaking ABI with mainstream spice-server.
>
> --verbose please.

POC = proof of concept
ABI = application binary interface
spice-server changes were backward-incompatible and were not accepted

> > The solution requires updates in qemu and spice on server side and
> > spice and spice-gtk on client side.
>
> Sure.
>
> > Then it is functional with command-line qemu.
> > In order to make it available to regular user need to update at least
> also
> > libvirt and virt-manager
> > (to add new nbd chanels), remote viewer (to select what to share).
>
> Yes, but for compensation you can drop code emulating usb-storage and
> scsi spice-gtk.

usb-storage is just a header processing and holder of units
scsi source is 2K lines, similar to nbd server
nbd requires also code for nbd channel

> > The user experience is also changed - any user (whether it plans to
> > share cd in this session or not) have on guest machine several
> > additional unloaded drives (to be loaded when the sharing triggered on
> > client side).
>
> Yes.  But why is this a problem?  If the user can share one (or maybe
> two for both installer and driver) iso images, having that many cdrom
> drives in the guest should not cause much confusion, no?

And if the user does not want to share anything? Why he/she must have these
drives? In case of usb redirection the device does not exist if it is not
used.
With usb redirection the number of emulated drives on single channel
is potentially unlimited (using multi-unit device)

> > Current solution is client only (even spice-gtk only), works on any setup
> > even with old server side.
>
> So you trade short-term simplification (only spice client update
> needed) over long-term maintainance requirements (all the additional
> usb/scsi emulation code in spice-gtk).  I don't think this is a good
> idea.

cheers,