[Spice-devel] [spice-gtk v4 00/13] CD sharing feature

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 05:59:25 UTC 2018

  Hi,

> spice-server changes were backward-incompatible and were not accepted

Why they are not backward compatible?

> usb-storage is just a header processing and holder of units

Yes, bulk-only transport isn't that difficuilt to handle.

> scsi source is 2K lines, similar to nbd server

Probably the bare minimum needed to get things going.
Which guests have you tested with this?

Be prepared that this will become larger over time,
if you find that guests submit scsi commands which
you do not emulate.

> nbd requires also code for nbd channel

Sure, but should be mostly glue code binding the
existing pieces together.

> > Yes.  But why is this a problem?  If the user can share one (or maybe
> > two for both installer and driver) iso images, having that many cdrom
> > drives in the guest should not cause much confusion, no?

> And if the user does not want to share anything? Why he/she must have these
> drives?

Well, physical computers have cdroms built in too.  And they are
likewise there even if not used.  I fail to see why this is a problem.

> With usb redirection the number of emulated drives on single channel
> is potentially unlimited (using multi-unit device)

No, the limit is 16 LUNs for bulk-only transport.  Should be enough
though, I have a hard time to imagine use cases where you need more
than 2-3 isos.

Note that you can't hotplug the LUNs individually.

cheers,
  Gerd