[Spice-devel] [spice-gtk v3 0/9] added feature of sharing CD image

Victor Toso victortoso at redhat.com
Thu Aug 22 12:10:14 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 02:09:35PM +0300, Yuri Benditovich wrote:

> > > How many features in spice-gtk do have unit tests and how
> > > many do not?
> > >

> > This is not answering what Victor asked.
> > He asked if you plan to add some new tests.
>
> First of all, there is a claim: "it is a shame..."
> So I've tried to evaluate the measure of the problem.

Sorry if this offended you in any way. I use the "it is a shame"
the same way I'd use "It is unfortunate".

As you mentioned, our code is not well unit tested and a new
feature that changes the code and introduces something *emulated*
does sound to me as a good case for improving tests thus I asked.

> My plans are derived from priorities and the priorities at the
> moment are: to deliver the feature and its GUI.
> After that I can reevaluate the plans

So, you'll evaluate writing tests once this feature is merged and
GUI is integrated.

Note that in my ~15 words question, I didn't require the tests.
This'll likely change in near future.

> > As I said in a previous reply the company is asking us to
> > improve testing in the code.
>
> IMO, unit tests are mainly indended to help us preventing
> regression when the code is changed.

Imho, to avoid regressions, unit tests are the important, yes.
But also to prove that a bug in the codebase is fixed.