[Spice-devel] [RFC spice-server 1/3] stream-channel: Add preferred video codec capability

Kevin Pouget kpouget at redhat.com
Fri Aug 23 12:26:50 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 11:32 AM Victor Toso <victortoso at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 09:08:51AM -0400, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > > +/* Returns an array with SPICE_VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE_ENUM_END elements,
> > > + * with the client preference order (index) as value */
> > > +GArray
> > > *video_stream_parse_preferred_codecs(SpiceMsgcDisplayPreferredVideoCodecType
> > > *msg)
> > > +{
> > > +    gint i, len;
> >
> > gnot ga gbig gfun gof gall gthese gg gstrings
>
> Haha, you brought something like that in the past too. What can
> we do about it? I don't even think much, if I'm working on code
> with glib/gobject I g-prefix types too. I would say it makes
> sense when interacting with the its libraries, random e.g:
>
>     glong g_utf8_strlen (const gchar *p, gssize max);
>
> I'm raising this question/email so we can improve this somehow
> (checkpatch.pl git-hooks and/or coding style standards) and make
> it clear for contributors/reviewers without much time loss in
> discussion.

 Hello,

for this particular functions (and overall this patch), I didn't write
anything new, everything is copied or moved from the display-channel
preferred codec code, so these gints are already in the codebase!
but besides that, I agree that it should be used only to interact with
glib functions, which is not the case for this gint i, and a few
others in this function! after a quick glance, I think multiple g*
types are wrongly used; I'll fix that when I'll update the patch.

regards,

Kevin