[Spice-devel] Spice on WinXPSP3

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 5 10:45:36 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 06:39:10AM -0400, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to start remote-viewer.exe on WES7 WYSE with Windows XP SP3
> > (32bit) and get stuck with and error message "The procedure entry point
> > AcquireSRWLockExlusive could not be located in the dynamic link library
> > KERNEL32.dll.".
> > I read that it's about Windows XP kernel not supporting
> > AcquireSRWLockExlusive.
>
> > Is there some possible way to solve this?
>
> > Best regards,
> > Sami Koivisto
>
> I don't think we directly depends on this API but I think it's Gtk/GLib.
> The problem is that Gtk/GLib removed Windows XP support so the only option
> seems to add some compatibility patch to these libraries.
> Maybe somebody else has some patches for these libraries already.

I perform the Windows builds for virt-viewer/remote-viewer on the latest
Fedora release and this uses mingw builds of the upstream Gtk releases.
Even if someone had patches for WinXP, unless upstream Gtk accepts those
patches, they're not going to get into Fedora and thus not going to be
part of the remote-viewer.exe build.

> But the best option would be to update Windows XP.

Agreed, please just stop using Windows XP. It is not a platform we intend
to support with virt-viewer windows builds.

Regards,
Daniel