[Spice-devel] Review of the C++ patches

Kevin Pouget kpouget at redhat.com
Mon Jun 8 15:10:00 UTC 2020

Hello spice-devel

I worked on the review of Frediano's C++ patches during the last weeks,
I tried to understand the gist of the commits and summarize it in the
review message.
It's not an in-depth review, and I only spotted minor details.

A few patches are not acked, mostly because they were too big for me to
study carefully enough.

Overall, I really appreciate the effort made to adapt the code to C++, from
my point of view it is greatly beneficial for the code as it reduces a lot
the amount of code duplication (boilerplate code) by leveraging C++
inheritance, polymorphism, virtual methods, etc.
Likewise, the ref-counting is made simpler and safer with custom classes
(share_ptr). These custom classes mimic existing ones AFAICT, but they are
more "C-safe" as they cannot throw exceptions.

3 mails will follow with the reviews.

Best regards,

Kevin