[Swfdec] swfdec in firefox on Fedora8 x86_64

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Mon Dec 17 11:11:48 PST 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 1:16 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well the git repo has been compiling and running extremely well of
> late but I get no audio. Being Fedora 8 I'm not sure if this is
> because of pulse audio, a codec issue or if its just not supported as
> yet.

No idea myself, but two things might be interesting:
1) Rawhide includes swfdec, so you could copy what they did
2) Swfdec has a Pulse Audio backend, you can enable it via configure
instead of alsa

> If I use the moz plugin to save the .flv file and then try and play it
> with swfdec-player I get this error
> SWFDEC: ERROR: swfdec_resource.c(265):
> swfdec_resource_loader_target_parse: no decoder found for format
> so I think it must be a codec issue but as it doesn't return any
> details of the codec and I know nothing about the codecs that flv uses
> or youtube for that matter.

Swfdec does not support direct playback of FLV files. The only files
Swfdec can play back are Flash files.

> Also is there a way to 'autoplay' a
> swf so you don't get a big grey play button on all flash component on
> websites?

No, unfortunately there is not yet a way to autoplay. That would
require storing configuration and nobody ever stepped up to do the
work. We'd all love to have it, so if you wanna start programming on
it (or know someone who would want to, go ahead.

Cheers,
Benjamin