[Swfdec] swfdec in firefox on Fedora8 x86_64

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 04:16:00 PST 2007

> Hi All,
>
> I've tried swfdec on Fedora 8 x86_64 without much luck. I originally
> used the rpms from livna. I primarily want it just to view youtube
> videos which from various blog posts I thought worked. It seems to
> detect the flash but i just get a white background (it does detect a
> plugin as you don't get the jigsaw piece).
>
> So i recompiled the rpm on my machine just to make sure. No difference.
>
> From there I checked out a copy from the git repo but i can't compile
> it due to the error below (either as a rpm or from straight source).
>
> Anyway I'm just wondering what the status of swfdec is on x86_64
> platforms and if there's any debugging I can do to get it working?

Well the git repo has been compiling and running extremely well of
late but I get no audio. Being Fedora 8 I'm not sure if this is
because of pulse audio, a codec issue or if its just not supported as
yet.

If I use the moz plugin to save the .flv file and then try and play it
with swfdec-player I get this error
SWFDEC: ERROR: swfdec_resource.c(265):
swfdec_resource_loader_target_parse: no decoder found for format
so I think it must be a codec issue but as it doesn't return any
details of the codec and I know nothing about the codecs that flv uses
or youtube for that matter.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Also is there a way to 'autoplay' a
swf so you don't get a big grey play button on all flash component on
websites?

Other than that its coming along nicely.

Pete