[Swfdec] Lots of problems playing back !

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Wed Dec 19 23:08:41 PST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 2:25 AM,  <salsaman at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> SWFDEC: ERROR: swfdec_codec_gst.c(231): swfdec_gst_decoder_init: failed to
> create decoder
> SWFDEC: ERROR: swfdec_codec_audio.c(192): swfdec_audio_decoder_new: no
> suitable decoder for audio codec 2
> SWFDEC: ERROR: swfdec_codec_gst.c(231): swfdec_gst_decoder_init: failed to
> create decoder

You must have installed gst-ffmpeg (or whatever it's called on your
distro) to be able to see video and gst-plugins-bad for mp3 audio
decoding. Alternatively, you can use the --enable-ffmpeg configure
switch, but that's not recommended.

> Second, transparency seems broken - for example, around the "play" button
> in the centre of the screen, and the little spinning circles.

Nope, that's not transparency being broken but the image. For some
reason it's not repainted properly, but I haven't yet figured out why.
It's a bad first impression for people new to Swfdec, but it's not
really hindering playback so it wasn't worth delaying a release for
it.

> Third the video is not playing (I guess it's related to the missing codec
> above ? however there is no indication as to what I need to install to
> play it).

That is true, but then, Swfdec has no clue about it either. In theory
your distro should take care of that, but I don't think Debian or
Ubuntu suggest gst-ffmpeg and gst-plugins-bad on package install?
(side note: This was more of a question to the packagers reading this)
And hooking up something like Codeina is not as easy either, because
you don't want to get a "missing codec" window from the thumbnailer or
the testsuite. So it's somewhat of a hard problem, but we take
patches. :)

> Fourth, the buttons (pause/play) and slider bar are VERY unresponsive, and
> when pressed, artifacts appear in the image screen.

The artifacts are probably related to the bug above. Unresponsiveness
is a general problem with bad X servers (search the archives for "EXA"
to get help on that), but could also be related to the missing codecs.

> Fifth, resizing/exposing the window is broken, the image doesn't seem to
> redraw.

See above.

Cheers,
Benjamin