[Swfdec] Swfdec git install redux

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Mon Jun 4 01:35:31 PDT 2007

On 6/3/07, Richard Revis <richard at revis.org> wrote:
> Please ignore my previous message to the list, there was an error between
> keyboard and chair.
>
> I have completed some from-git install documentation, available here:
> http://revis.co.uk/site/?q=node/157
> I'll generalise it, transfer it to the wiki and tidy up the installation page
> shortly.

Great work. One little note: As of very recently I've fixed the
Mozilla plugin installation. So you should be able to install it into
a custom directory by passing
--with-plugin-dir=/home/user/.mozilla/plugins to configure (or
autogen.sh).

> The configure script seems to have a small glitch in that for the
> packages liblame-dev libxvidcore4-dev libx264-dev libfaac-dev libfaad2-dev it
> detects only that the library is installed and *not* the headers required to
> build. Eg if liblame is installed configure will complete, however make will
> bug out until liblame-dev is installed. Not sure if this is working as
> intended - it's not true for the other libraries.

In theory those development packages should either not be required or
if they are be automatically installed by installing the
libavformat-dev package. If that's not happening, it's a bug in the
libavformat package.

> Once built and installed swfplay is not found in the path
> (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games).

I don't consider swfrplay an application ready to be installed. It's
missing some features I consider fundamental for an installed
application: A menu, a .desktop file, an icon, stuff like this. So far
noone has done that job...

> Performance is greatly improved over 0.4.3, however swfplay is still much
> better than the plugin, even when the plugin is allowed to completely buffer
> the file before playing. System spec: 1.5ghz PPC w/1.25 gig ram. Tested with
> swf files from Youtube.

That'd still surprise me, but I won't rule it out. Speed is something
I can't really do anything about unless I know what's the problem. And
even then it's most of the time something out of my reach. 90% of CPU
time for all the CPU intensive Flash files is spent inside X and (to a
lesser extent) cairo. So updating and tuning those packages will
likely bring more performance boosts than tuning swfdec.

Cheers,
Benjamin