[Swfdec] swfdec performance

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Tue Oct 9 11:04:57 PDT 2007

Hey,

On 10/1/07, Jnaneshwar B.T. <jnaneshbt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to port swfdec to SDL or X-Server or DirectFB or GTK
> without using cairo library?

Of course it is possible to do this, if you want to write a rendering
engine that is reasonably complete at implementing the PDF drawing
model. None of the libraries you just listed does that. They all just
copy rectangular images. Unless you use OpenGL, I doubt you get
anything faster than Cairo. But feel free to try.

> I would like complete this task within a month.

That's another thing where I'd be very surprised if you'd manage that.
Learning the code of a reasonably big part of code (Swfdec is ~50.000
lines) takes the largest part of a month.

> Can  I get complete support from the developers and also  architecture
> document, design documents .

You can get complete support from the developers for anything and at
almost any time by dropping into the #swfdec IRC channel and just
asking questions. We're always happy to help (unless we are on
holidays like the last weeks.)
As for architecture or design documents, I'm afraid that those don't
exist in a separate form. We use the source code as documentation.
Parts that aren't self-documenting get comments added. The code is
still changing far too rapidly to keep those documents reasonably up
to date.

Cheers,
Benjamin