[Swfdec] Can't use Mozilla plugin or play video with 0.8.2 / 0.9.2

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 12:24:16 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Benjamin Otte <otte at gnome.org> wrote:
> This looks like the famous H264 issue

I don't know how to determine whether a video is encoded in H264, but
I did make some progress so that I get some streaming video and audio.
 Turns out that you have to look at the Javascript source on the
YouTube page and extract the video_id in addition to the SWF URL, and
then run the player like so:

swfplay http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/watch-vfl67812.swf?video_id=q8hBjT2EekY

This kinda works but unfortunately doesn't perform well.  After 6-27
seconds the video and audio both become very choppy, dropping out for
several seconds and then picking up for a second or two.  This is
accompanied by 100% CPU load so it's possible I just don't have beefy
enough hardware to satisfy swfdec.  It is a 3GHz Mobile Intel Pentium
4, ~6100 bogomips.  I have similar results on 0.9.2, 0.8.2, and 0.6.8.

I guess what I am looking for now is some performance tuning
suggestions to try to get my player to keep up.  Maybe some slick
compiler options, some way to get profiling information from swfplay,
maybe try to cache the streaming .flv video, etc.  I will try
upgrading to the .git version and let you know if I have better
results.

Thanks,
Jesse