[Swfdec] Status of supporting Flash animations

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Sun Jan 6 23:45:20 PST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 1:31 AM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5polish at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found such a description of swfdec package in Packman repository:
>
> > Libswfdec is a library for rendering Flash animations.
> > Currently it handles mostFlash 3 animations and some Flash 4. No interactivity is supported yet.
>
> Which I belive is very not up to date. As far as I know, Swfdec 0.5.5
> comes with fully supported interactivirty, doesn't it? Are there still
> some big issues about that?

Yeah, that description was used for Swfdec up to version 0.3. The
current tag line from the home page is "Swfdec is a decoder/renderer
for Macromedia Flash animations." As for supporting "full
interactivity", I'm not sure whatever that means. But there's of
course still places left that son't work yet. It's always just a
simple missing thing or buggy behavior that makes a Flash file not
work.

> Also second question is, what animations are supported by Swfdec? Can
> we say that we are Flash 7/8/9 comaptible?

Swfdec advertises itself in the browser as Flash 9 compatible, because
newer Flash versions are built on top of older ones and so every Flash
feature we support is a Flash 9 feature we support. However, if
someone were to target a Flash file at Swfdec, I'd suggest using Flash
8 as very little work has gone into features new to Flash 9 yet. But
I'll not send an announcement when that changes.
I'd also not call Swfdec Flash 7/8/9 compatible, because that makes
people assume 100% compatibilty, and Swfdec is probably not even 100%
Flash 1 compatible.

Cheers,
Benjamin