[Swfdec] Still Alive

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Thu Nov 20 00:49:30 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Nick Zitzmann <seiryu at comcast.net> wrote:
> This was a triumph! I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS.

hehe
We should probably start adding a swfdec-osx repository to git and you
can track your changes there. If so, you should follow
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests to get an account and
afterwards we can setup the repository.

> So I've grudgingly added
> GStreamer to the project, which will increase the framework size and
> force me to dynamically link everything, but at least it'll work.

I'm still pretty sure you can do it if you were a Quicktime guru,
because GStreamer does exactly this, but as I have no clue how to do
it either, I'll just shut up. :)

> I'm experiencing one problem right now where, if an SWF embeds an FLV
> file (particularly YouTube's player), then audio plays back normally
> with the correct timing, but video playback is stuck in slow motion
> and goes out of sync very shortly after playback starts. Has anyone
> seen this before? I'm probably making a timing error in my Flash view...

As there is no synchronization happening between the video and audio
parts (yes, this is somewhat by design, blame Adobe), the likeliest
reason is that you don't call swfdec_player_advance() at the correct
speed. No clue what exactly could cause it though, maybe not
inspecting the return value?

> And out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried building Pango from an SVN
> checkout? I've wanted to port Pango's ATSUI back-end to a newer engine
> Apple has implemented, since ATSUI was taken out of the 64-bit version
> of Mac OS X, and this is blocking me from releasing a 64-bit
> framework, and I'm not having much luck. Something about glib
> documentation is breaking autoconf.

I don't think you need Pango's OS X backend at all, just using the
Cairo one should be perfetly fine. Plus, the Cairo one will likely use
the newer APIs already, so everything should just work.
As far as I know, the Pango backends are from pre-Cairo times and
Pango is slowly going Cairo-only. Certainly Swfdec only uses the Cairo
bits of Pango.

Cheers,
Benjamin