[Swfdec] Swfdec/Linux Framebuffer

Andreas Unger andi.unger05 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 01:07:09 PDT 2009

Hi,

I tested swfdec on the beagle board (www.beagleboard.org) which is based
on a TI OMAP 3530 ARM Cortex A8 processor.

The OS that I used was Angstrom Linux (www.angstrom-distribution.org/) and
the swfdec version is 0.9.2 (I believe it uses a gtk back-end and that it is
an
unstable release).

So far, it seems that I cannot run swfdec without X. That is, there is no
version of swfdec that doesn't depend on X. I'm I right?

I would like to hopefully avoid the overhead of X when I run the swfdec
player on the board.

My second question is, if you look at this file:
http://www.vibratogrilljazz.com/flash/main.swf

It plays correctly on my laptop which runs Fedora 11. However, on the ARM
board, it when I click on the "Menu" button, nothing happens. What could
be different on the x86 laptop that makes it play well on the laptop and
not on the ARM based board? I'd like to correct this issue since its
relevant
to me.

Also, which version is recommended for production? The 0.9.2 release or
the 0.8.4 one? IMHO Swfdec could be better than Flash Lite in some ways
because I could run some Flash apps which I couldn't run using the Flash
Lite
3.0 player. Security issues are not a major concern at the moment, the
main thing I need is a flash player that plays the swfs correctly.

Finally, I'd like to look around and see what I could do to help out with
development. First, I'd like to have a good enough understanding of how
things have been implemented and issues that need to be solved to make
swfdec as good as Adobe Flash Player 10. Any pointers will be highly
appreciated.

I'm also interested in knowing why it has taken so long for Flash Player
10 to be ported to the ARM Architecture? Is it technical complexity? And
if that's the case, what makes it complex?

Kind Regards,
Andreas