[SyncEvolution] D-Bus bindings: C++ or C?

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Fri Aug 7 14:41:39 UTC 2009

Hi Patrick,

> I'm having second thoughts about the decision that Jussi and I made back
> in January about using dbus-glib as the main interface to D-Bus in the
> syncevo-dbus-server. The main rationale at that time was that it is
> readily available and a known quantity.
>
> However, after looking at some of the code that Jussi had to write to
> make our C++ classes work as part of a D-Bus server I'm wondering
> whether this advantage of dbus-glib is really worth it. Much of it is
> manually written glue code between dbus-glib/GObject and C++.

inside BlueZ, ConnMan, oFono etc. we are using libgdbus which is a nice
and small helper library for writing D-Bus servers in C without any big
extra bloat. We even duplicate the source in all projects to make it
simpler for packages and integrators. I am not saying that this is the
right solution for you, but you asked ;)

Regards

Marcel