Akonadi + KDE support (was: Re: [Opensync-devel] OpenSync: fragmentation is harmful)

Dinesh saidinesh5 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 14:21:51 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 1/5/11, Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly at gmx.de> wrote:
> [moving to SyncEvolution list]
>
> On Di, 2011-01-04 at 10:30 -0800, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to catch up with the thread, but for now I want to answer to this
>> here
>>
>> --- On Mon, 1/3/11, Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> > have). GPE is one example. Akonadi another. I already wrote
>> > a prototype
>> > backend for Akonadi, but now need a developer who is
>> > motivated to finish
>> > and maintain it.
>
> I should have mentioned that Dinesh is working on it; I just haven't
> seen the result yet and don't know whether he wants to stay around once
> it is included (maintenance!).

I would be glad to stay around, provided that there is something for
me to work on :)

>> If you give me access to the code I could fix it, as I am highly
>> motivated to have KDE4 sincable in near future (until someone fixes
>> the rest of opensync).
>
> Dinesh, is there a chance that Emanoil helps with the SyncEvolution
> Akonadi backend? I can imagine that the work can be split up easily (for
> example, you doing the KDE integration (HTTP, KWallet, GUI), while
> Emanoil does the actual sync backend), but you know best what the
> current status is.

Would certainly like to have as much help as we can.
Here is the detailed progress though:

After the GSoC is over, the only problem left with the backend was the
KDE specific extensions. The actual sync was working with both the
HTTP transport and Obex .(As expected ,on second sync, the KDE
specific fields are wiped out.).

Syncevolution can now store credentials in  KWallet backend.
The compilation issues and segmentation faults are hopefully fixed.
(We are still hard coding values in autotools though :( )
The Bluedevil plugin is also here. It currently does exactly what the
Gnome Bluetooth Plugin does, but modifying it to do something else
shouldn't take much time(Around 1 hour of work)

The KDE's Notes doesn't yet use akonadi, so syncing notes is only
tested with just a collection, using akonadiconsole.

Whats really needed is a GUI and rigorous automated testing (I used to
test it with my N70 and Ovi server after every change i made to my
data and haven't yet had any problems though, but that doesn't mean
there aren't any).

> Emanoil, attached Dinesh's last email on the subject. None of his work
> is in the main SyncEvolution. We did one code review a while back and
> determined that further work was needed to make it ready.
> I'd be very interested to get as many suitable patches integrated now.
> 1.2 (= master) is still in an experimental phase, so modifying core code
> is okay. The Akonadi backend can be modified at any time, it is just a
> question of when it is ready for users.

Sascha and I have cleaned up the code as suggested after that. Also
have removed the libproxy that I have added temporarily, because of
certain problems that libproxy has with KDE 4.4. I have tested both
libsoup and libcurl: they seem to be working properly.

Getting the backend ready is top on my list, then a proper GUI and may
be after that, adding additional transport agent based on KIO.

I was hoping to finish off the KDE specific extensions first, but
currently am stuck with some weird problem with my KOrganizer.
The personal deadline i gave myself, is with KDE PIM 4.6, we should be
able to have a well tested SyncEvolution, atleast the CLI.
I guess with some additional help, i m sure we can reach that.

Emanoil, Please test the current backend from my repository as described in:
http://saidinesh5.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/are-we-there-yet/
This should give you an overview of how to set things up:
http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/sivan-greenbergs-forum-nokia-blog/2010/11/07/kde-ovi-qt-meego-syncml

Once after that, you will get to know whats left to do.

Feel free to ping me on #akonadi-syncml (freenode) or via. Gmail.

Regards,
Dinesh