[SyncEvolution] Akonadi + KDE support (was: Re: [Opensync-devel] OpenSync: fragmentation is harmful)

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 20:42:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

--- On Sat, 1/8/11, Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly at gmx.de> wrote:

> My apologies if that sounded a bit harsh. My view point is
> that of a
> user: which use cases does it satisfy? Can it be installed
> without too
> much trouble? Is it production-quality?

No problem about this, but you lack arguments and one can not understand why you are saying this. I was thinking the same before starting the work, but as nothing in v0.40 is prod. quality I don't care for the qulity of the plugin ATM. The potential I see in it was enough. Also the potential of the opensync framework. The invested time was some hours a day over less then 2 months - I think it's worth for the future and yes it is working very fine (I was surprised too).

> These are the goals that I have with the stable
> SyncEvolution releases.

I think you are one step ahead of opensync - as I said in the other mail in short terms it is probably a better solution, but as the others said it covers just a fraction of what would be necessary for a real sync solution. However (as I mentioined) I'm ready to put some effort in testing and helping, so that I have a usable solution soon.

> There are no binaries with Akonadi support, if that's what
> you were
> looking for. It is too early for that.
>
> http://saidinesh5.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/are-we-there-yet/
> points
> towards the source code repository where Dinesh does his
> work:
> http://gitorious.org/~saidinesh5/meego-middleware/saidinesh5-syncevolution
>
> The HACKING document contains some general hints about
> compiling
> SyncEvolution and Dinesh describes specific steps for the
> Akonadi
> support in his blog post.
>
> So if you have time, I suggest that you give compiling it a
> try, then
> try it out and work with Dinesh to address any of the known
> (or unknown)
> gaps.

I was actually looking for the code. Last time the links I had were not working and there was no akonadi code included. So I couldn't try anything.
I'll look forward to have it compiled and installed - probably I'll subscribe your mailing list and for sure I'll give you my feedback.

regards