[SyncEvolution] SyncEvolution and SSO on SailfishOS (and Ubuntu)

Ove Kåven ovek at arcticnet.no
Fri Jan 24 23:02:49 UTC 2014

Den 24. jan. 2014 17:44, skrev Graham Cobb:
> On 06/01/14 15:43, Ove Kåven wrote:
>> OK, it took me all weekend and then some, but I think I've got a
>> somewhat functional rpm now. I uploaded what I've got so far to:
>> http://people.debian.org/~ovek/sailfish/
>
> Just to let you know...
>
> I have installed this and tested it as a SyncML-over-http client (with
> SyncEvolution also acting as the SyncML server at the other end),
> syncing calendar, contacts and tasks (although task DB is empty).
>
> It is working well, with only a few strangenesses, most of which don't
> look like they are anything to do with your port:
>
> 1) I currently use it from the command line, logged in over ssh.  It
> starts running but very quickly stops doing anything.  I think this is
> something to do with Jolla battery saving as it continues if I touch the
> screen of the phone.  I have to keep interacting with the screen every
> few seconds to keep it running.

Yes. Everything running on the CPU gets suspended. There's some
discussions, workarounds, and explanations here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92183

It seems to me that incoming network packets also wakes up the CPU, so
if I have an open ssh session to the phone, I can just press some key
(like Enter) to wake it up whenever necessary. Or just have a terminal
window with "ping jolla" running while I'm working, whatever.

> 2) The "diff" function (printChanges) doesn't work.  It almost never
> completes (before the other end times out -- several minutes).  I
> suspect this is something to do with the logic of the diff script itself
> as I have seen strangenesses with it on the desktop side as well (for
> example it has managed to report two halves of one changed entry as two
> separate changes).  It probably isn't helped by me having 1500 calendar
> entries.  I have had to turn off printChanges.

Haven't noticed problems with it myself, but then I haven't done very
much testing with it turned on, I suppose. It's certainly possible that
things could get a bit slow with a large database, but it shouldn't be
*that* slow.

Perhaps it has something to do with the powersaving problem mentioned
above. If this deep suspend mode kicks in (quite possible during
printChanges, since there's probably no network traffic while that's
processing data), it would also completely stop SyncEvolution dead in
its tracks, until the user wakes the phone. If that could be a problem,
perhaps it would be a good idea to look into ways to prevent the phone
from suspending while a sync is in progress.

> 3) I had one calendar entry which synced but then caused an error
> whenever syncevolution tried to read it from the calendar.  --export got
> an error whenever it read it (and so did sync, of course).  I couldn't
> even delete it using --delete-items.  I eventually deleted it from the
> calendar GUI (but I had to delete it twice -- the first time it
> reappeared!).  The bad entry was a recurring entry with a specific
> recurrence.  Not sure where the problem lies -- I haven't tried to
> reproduce it yet.

Well, I can't do much without more information (unless I experience it
myself, I suppose I might once I start using this more actively).

> I notice that tasks will also sync (or at least, appear to -- I don't
> have any in the DB on my server at the moment).  Do you know if there is
> any Jolla app which uses the task DB?

No, I don't think there's one yet. Jolla themselves haven't made a Tasks
app yet, and I don't know of any third-party tasks app that's using the
mKCal backend.

The Jolla Notes app also doesn't use the mKCal backend. I think syncing
those would require writing a SQLite-based backend for notes. (They use
a very simple database. "CREATE TABLE notes (pagenr INTEGER, color TEXT,
body TEXT);", so no GUIDs or creation time or anything that might help
resolve conflicts. It's apparently not designed to be synced.)

For now, I'm considering just disabling tasks and notes support in the
rpms for Jolla, since trying to sync those is currently useless.

However, I've been toying with the idea of writing my own calendar and
tasks app. After all, Jolla's own calendar app is not very
sophisticated. Apart from not supporting tasks, it also doesn't show the
location of the events in my calendar, and sometimes that's information
I need. But then again, it's possible that Jolla will improve their
calendar app soon.