[SyncEvolution] Syncevolution for TDE

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 17:56:08 UTC 2016

Hi again,
When I compile with --enable-shared my module comes up twice when I call --datastore-properties ?When I compile static it shows up just once. I installed in /tmp/test or ~/test-syncevo and setup some variables.
What could be the reason?
thanks in advance - regards

    On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 1:13 AM, Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes at yahoo.com> wrote:

 >> TDE is the former KDE3 project. I'll need to have a look into the
>> details on the interfaces, but it looks possible.
>
>I don't know how far back KCal goes, but perhaps at least that API is
>similar.
Well KCal might have not changed much, but in KDE4 akonadi provides a unified interface afaik.Thanks again for the summary, I now have a much better understanding what is there for what reason in syncevolution.
I think I'll find my way through that.

>> >I don't know what kind of storage TDE supports. It's likely that you
>> >will have to write a backend for its PIM API.
>>
>> Thanks I had a look in the past days just to find out that new bluez5
>> works much different (and perhaps better), but still could be the real
>> challenge here.
>
>SyncEvolution interfaces to Bluetooth via libopenobex, which talks
>directly to the kernel. That part should work right away, also with
>Bluez5.Yes indeed I was able to configure, pair and connect to the Nokia 5530 and N9 also from within TDE using the gnome tools
The problem is that bluetooth was poorly supported in KDE3, so I think if one aims to do the bluetooth part without gnome tools could be chalinging. But it might be off topic here.

>From what I recall from the opensync project the KDE3 did not have unified API, but it shouldn't be hard to get working and I have never had issues on that side.

>> >Backends get detected automatically when placed in src/backends, so just
>> >copy-and-paste, modify, then re-run autogen + configure + make.
>>
>> Oh, thanks, however I have seen some checks and options to
>> disable/enable KDE4+ and Gnome linking in the code (I got from git).
>> So the question was more about how could I disable nearly everything
>> else except for what I want to test. Is there any (documented) process
>> on how to modify or just hack the automake files
>
>Once you ran autogen.sh, the resulting configure has enable/disable
>options for all backends. There's no need to change the autotools source
Ok thanks, so it really adopts the backend specific features as provided by the am and configure-sub.in files
thanks a lot, wish me luck

    On Monday, December 21, 2015 11:02 PM, Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly at intel.com> wrote:

 On Mon, 2015-12-21 at 20:45 +0000, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> >> May I ask for your opinion please - what would be the steps or send me
> >> web links to docs as I'm getting lost in the documentation?
> >
> >Depending on the kind of PIM storage you need to interface with you need
> >to implement different interfaces. Most storages support
> >importing/exporting items in a standard format (like vCard or iCalendar)
> >and offer some kind of item listing. The TrackingSyncSource is a good
> >base class for this and comes with full documentation of all virtua
> >methods that one may have to implement.
>
> TDE is the former KDE3 project. I'll need to have a look into the
> details on the interfaces, but it looks possible.

I don't know how far back KCal goes, but perhaps at least that API is
similar.

> >> 1. Is there a way to sync with TDE  without writing backends for TDE?
> >> I ask this in the bluetooth/usb context.
> >
> >I don't know what kind of storage TDE supports. It's likely that you
> >will have to write a backend for its PIM API.
>
> Thanks I had a look in the past days just to find out that new bluez5
> works much different (and perhaps better), but still could be the real
> challenge here.

SyncEvolution interfaces to Bluetooth via libopenobex, which talks
directly to the kernel. That part should work right away, also with
Bluez5.

> >> 2. Where do I start and what process should I follow to integrate the
> >> code into the build and in the gui?
> >
> >Backends get detected automatically when placed in src/backends, so just
> >copy-and-paste, modify, then re-run autogen + configure + make.
>
> Oh, thanks, however I have seen some checks and options to
> disable/enable KDE4+ and Gnome linking in the code (I got from git).
> So the question was more about how could I disable nearly everything
> else except for what I want to test. Is there any (documented) process
> on how to modify or just hack the automake files

Once you ran autogen.sh, the resulting configure has enable/disable
options for all backends. There's no need to change the autotools source
files.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.