[SyncEvolution] Char encoding in syncevo config

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Wed Mar 23 08:13:40 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-03-23 at 08:39 +0100, deloptes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I might be too frustrated recently and might have overseen something, but is
> there a way to set up specific char encoding in SyncEvolution
> configuration?
>
> The reason is that I have few old phones in Latin1/ISO-8859-15 and a newer
> N9 using UTF-8
> While N9 works fine, I get mangled ö/ä/ü in the contacts from the older
> phones.
> I'm just thinking how can I solve this.

The older phones presumably use vCard 2.1? 3.0 always uses UTF-8.

When you receive vCards from those phones and they contain data in
ISO-8859-15, does the vCard contain a CHARSET parameter on the property
with the non-ASCII content?

It is possible to override the default charset for specific phones. See
"11.36.19 <outputcharset>" in
libsynthesis/doc/SySync_config_reference.pdf

There is an example of that in
syncevolution/src/syncevo/configs/remoterules/server/00_sony_ericsson.xml

You can add similar .xml fragments for your phones, using manufacturer
and model tags to limit the effect to certain phones.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.