[SyncEvolution] Char encoding in syncevo config

deloptes deloptes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 23:13:00 UTC 2016

Patrick Ohly wrote:

> On Wed, 2016-03-23 at 08:39 +0100, deloptes wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I might be too frustrated recently and might have overseen something, but
>> is there a way to set up specific char encoding in SyncEvolution
>> configuration?
>>
>> The reason is that I have few old phones in Latin1/ISO-8859-15 and a
>> newer N9 using UTF-8
>> While N9 works fine, I get mangled ö/ä/ü in the contacts from the older
>> phones.
>> I'm just thinking how can I solve this.
>
> The older phones presumably use vCard 2.1? 3.0 always uses UTF-8.

Yes it is vCard 2.1.

> When you receive vCards from those phones and they contain data in
> ISO-8859-15, does the vCard contain a CHARSET parameter on the property
> with the non-ASCII content?

My assumption was wrong that it was not UTF (may be). It says quoted
printable/utf-8. Could be that the UTF there is misleading?

> It is possible to override the default charset for specific phones. See
> "11.36.19 <outputcharset>" in
> libsynthesis/doc/SySync_config_reference.pdf
>
> There is an example of that in
> syncevolution/src/syncevo/configs/remoterules/server/00_sony_ericsson.xml
>
> You can add similar .xml fragments for your phones, using manufacturer
> and model tags to limit the effect to certain phones.

I attach here some snippets from the log. I see the data properly
converted/mapped to the internal fields, only I don't know at which stage
it is done. The result however in the Addressbook is not readable (for the
cyrillic) and mangled for the ö.

I'll have a look next week as the time window for private work gets closed
now.

Thanks in advance