[SyncEvolution] Sync with SailFish OS via Bluetooth

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Fri Nov 18 13:03:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-16 at 09:48 +0000, Graham Cobb wrote:
> On 16/11/16 08:43, Tino Mettler wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 08:16:29 +0100, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> while Buteo was a "cleanly designed" framework which avoided doing
> >> any of the hard work and delegated that to "plugins".  In other
> >> words, it didn't actually solve the problems.
> >
> > OpenSync reloaded? :-)
>
> Oooh, a bit of a low blow :-)

Emotions running high ;-)

> I certainly learnt a lot from spending quite a lot of effort trying to
> make OpenSync work!  The main one (and the main reason I am here) is
> that sync is **really** hard to do in the general case.

Amen to that.

I don't have a problem with trying out different ways of doing syncing.
Sometimes people have to try first before they realize how hard it is.
I'm just a bit sad and disappointed when those attempts then tie up
resources for years without actually leading to something that helps
users.

Then there are the projects with great claims ("Synchronize your your
PIM data to your mobile phone, iPod, Nokia Internet tablet, or between
computers" - search for it, it's a verbatim copy) although that's at
best a goal for the future. At least users find out about that as soon
as they dig deeper.

Worse is to sync data and then break it along the way, because then
users stop using sync software.

> Syncevolution does a great job on two-way sync but it would be really
> good to solve the multi-way problem one day :-)

With multi-way you mean a sync topology that has cycles? Yes, that's
indeed not possible with SyncEvolution. I also don't see a way to do it
as long as one is stuck with existing data formats.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.