[SyncEvolution] Sync with SailFish OS via Bluetooth

Graham Cobb g+syncevolution at cobb.uk.net
Fri Nov 18 14:08:28 UTC 2016

On 18/11/16 13:03, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> With multi-way you mean a sync topology that has cycles? Yes, that's
> indeed not possible with SyncEvolution. I also don't see a way to do it
> as long as one is stuck with existing data formats.

Actually, I meant even without cycles.  It seems to me from my own
experiments that it is impossible (in the real world) to keep N > 2
devices in sync just using pairwise syncs (assuming changes on any
device, but disallowing conflicting changes).  The main problem is
different sets of supported attributes.

That was the problem OpenSync tried to solve (with its centralised
database and lists of supported attributes) but SyncEvolution ignores (a
very reasonable but large simplification).

I have tried to simulate this by using a files backend as a common point
to synchronise everything with, but I still see a lot of spurious
changes and corruptions being propagated around.

That means that, for the time being, I am forced to treat Outlook as my
master and only do one-way syncs from there to my other devices.

Graham