[SyncEvolution] "Comparison was impossible" "

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Fri Apr 28 09:05:15 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 10:31 +0200, Vincent wrote:
> > Envoyé: Jeudi 27 Avril 2017 15:01:18
> > Objet: Re: [SyncEvolution] "Comparison was impossible" "
> >
> > A --sync refresh-from-remote should reset your local data. It ignores
> > any existing items in the local database and also generates a new
> > local
> > backup. Have you done that?
> >
> > I'm not sure why you get the "comparison impossible" message. Perhaps
> > synccompare is not installed or not usable (it needs Perl).
> >

> Yes, I've tried both refresh-from-remote and refresh-from-local (despite that cleared my database) and I always get the "Comparison was impossible" message.
>
> Could you tell me more about synccompare?

In the syncevolution.org packages, it is under /usr/bin/synccompare.
It's a perl script that takes two database dumps and compares them,
similar to a diff between text files.

It gives you additional information what exactly changed during a sync
(for example: ADR in a contact changed from foo to bar) instead of
merely saying "one contact changed".

>  Can I use it or debug by another command line?

You can call it with "synccompare <dump A> <dump B>" where each
parameter is one of the ~/.cache/syncevolution/*/*.before or *.after
directories.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.