[SyncEvolution] Re: moving SyncEvolution infrastructure

Milan Crha mcrha at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 08:04:14 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-03-31 at 09:36 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> Moving it elsewhere is an opportunity to clean this up. I would
> try to keep links valid as much as possible or at least have
> redirects. However, I only intend to copy page content, not comments.
> My plan is to export the original content (usually plain text with
> some Markdown and HTML), clean it up and then run a static page
> generator to recreate the HTML site.

	Hi,
even I do not see it on the gitlab.freedesktop.org instance when not
logged in, the GitLab itself supports Wiki pages, like the GNOME's
instance have it here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/wikis/home
(there's no wiki page set in this project).

The GitLab seems to have a way to provide static pages as well:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/help/user/project/pages/index
https://gitlab.com/pages

And when you've .md files in the repo, they can be viewed as HTML too,
all done by the GitLab. As an example, see how it catches README.md at
the bottom of the:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-software/
I know it's not the same as full static pages/markdown files.

I mean, you can have everything served by the GitLab, including
releases:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-software/-/releases
at least if the relevant parts are enabled by the respective GitLab
instance.

The GNOME's instance allows user projects as well, or filled under
https://gitlab.gnome.org/World . Check the linked rules there, for a
project inclusion.

I do not have any opinion on the mailing list part. If a Google group
accepts non-Google addresses then it's probably fine. Otherwise I'd go
with a service not that restricting myself.
	Bye,
	Milan