[systemd-devel] Segfault during halt/reboot probably caused by comment=systemd.automount in fstab.

enaut enaut.w at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 2 17:54:13 PST 2010

  Hi,

With Gentoo I had a nasty segfault on shutdown/reboot. I have not been
able to track down the bug reasonably enough because while recompiling
stuff with newer libs and Debug info I totally broke my system :(.

So I reinstalled it all by migrating from Gentoo to Exherbo.

Shutdown and Reboot worked quite well until I copied over the fstab from
my old system.

I found out that it always crashes with this segfault when I have the
option "comment=systemd.automount" on any drive (filesystem doesn't
matter tested ntfs and ext4, Philantrop tested nfs). It doesn't matter
if the automount was used and the drive is mounted or not and the drive
is still unmounted.

I tried to use gdb to produce a backtrace but I'm still struggling with
the debug symbols (help appreciated):

(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007f106a20bedb in raise () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x000000000040865b in crash ()
#2 <signal handler called>
#3  0x0000000000468236 in automount_check_gc ()
#4  0x00000000004606b5 in unit_add_to_gc_queue ()
#5  0x0000000000460851 in unit_free ()
#6  0x000000000040ac48 in manager_clear_jobs_and_units ()
#7  0x0000000000411adb in manager_free ()
#8  0x0000000000408cf4 in main ()

btw. the version of systemd is git commit 9bee76ee44a ... so about 4
Days old.

So I guess the error occurs somewhere in automount_check_gc().
Maybe the Unit is already removed by the unmount logic or something like
that.

I hope this information is enough to debug that Segfault. With
instructions I can provide further information.
enaut