[systemd-devel] Concurrent state transition requests for a unit?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Dec 24 03:31:54 PST 2010

On Thu, 02.12.10 10:25, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> What happens when request for a unit comes when it is executing some
> other state transition? Let's say unit is being activated and request
> comes to deactivate it?
>
> Will systemd wait until first request finishes before initiating the
> second request?

Yes. As long as a "contradicting" unit state change is in the process of
being executed we delay the execution of the unit state change queued in
pending jobs.

Note however that we will at most queue on job for each unit. That means
if you queue start and stop and start and stop only a "stop" will be
effectively be queued which will be executed as soon as possible, and if
it is contradicting and operaation that is already in progress we will
wait for it to finish.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.