[systemd-devel] systemd and Linuxfromscratch

Sven Goericke sgoericke at vandalay.org
Thu Jun 17 02:56:54 PDT 2010

Hi all,

using Archlinux for 18 months or so 2 weeks ago i did create my "own"
Linux system. Ok, it's not really my own, it's based on LFS ;-) At the
Moment it's simply based on the stable LFS-book 6.6 except i'm running
Kernel 2.6.34. AS a aircraft-addon developer for the X-Plane flightsim i
have some different needs for my system. Also i don't need too much
stuff for my daily work (awesome wm, firefox, mpd music player daemon
and of course emacs).

Normally, the sysvinit used in LFS is ok for me. Don't run much services
the time my sys needs to boot isn't important and also i don't reboot my
system that often. So as it seems i have no personal needs to replace
sysvinit i like to do so.

The first try was upstart. Following the instructions to install it i
had no luck to boot my system (the script provided by upstart for
compatibility with the sysv init-scripts try to read /proc/cmdline
before /proc is mounted). I decided not to begin changing all the
scripts, and after i took a look at the ubuntu 10.04 bootscripts i was
more confused as the normal sysv init scripts do.

Yesterday i become aware of systemd and decided to give it a try.
Because the idea behind is great and i really think that it could be
"THE" new init system for Linux operating systems.

I couldn't boot my system successfully until now, but with another
reason then upstart. System start stops on D-Bus startup as
/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket couldn't be written because the root
filesystem was still mounted readonly. I'm sure i can fix this problem :-)

The reason for this mail is simple: i like to help to improve systemd.
As a programmer (mainly C++) and with a bit of knowledge how a Linux
system works i think i'm able to help a bit. First step will be to get
systemd working properly on my LFS-System of course :-)

best regards from germany
Sven