[systemd-devel] README?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu May 13 05:59:23 PDT 2010

On Thu, 13.05.10 13:34, Yaroslav Fedevych (jaroslaw.fedewicz at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello,

Yo,

> I have tried to run this systemd thing on my Debian box and it was a disaster.
> First, systemd expects quite a bunch of mount points to be present but
> you can't tell unless you dive straight into the code or actually try
> to launch it and go through all failure messages.

My blog story mentions no less than six times that this code is
experimental. The current version number is 0. We never did a tarball
release. And, it is a low-level component of your OS. What can you make
of all of this? Yes, that this isn't code you want to play with unless
you know what you do. So please don't complain, and wait for an official
release before you start complaining thank you.

> Second, maybe that's not the only prerequisite but a readme is nowhere
> to be seen.

Look closer!

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/plain/README

> Could that be acted upon? Lots of bright ideas are of no use just
> because their implementation is not explained properly.

No. We have no plan of writing any documentation about systemd ever! We
do have plans to run the source code through a code obfuscator to make
less readable, expect that around version 4.0. Finally, starting with
7.0 we will change all strings to chinese.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net