[systemd-devel] systemd failing with vfs-scale-working patch-set

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 29 04:55:00 PST 2010

Hi,

I have tried the vfs-scale-working patch-set from [1] (GIT tree see [2]).
Unfortunately, I cannot boot my Debian/sid i386 system with systemd
(system freezes) but with sysvinit.
I have attached a screenshot of the Call-trace, hope this helps.

What I tried to get things worjing is:
* Downgrade systemd from v15 down to v12
* Remove "mtab hackz" [3]
* Remove native mount feature [4] (also in combination with "mtab hackz")
* Mask systemd-remount-api-vfs.service (for testing purposes)

Not sure what the real problem is (as it is very early), but sysvinit is fine.

# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-rc3-686
root=UUID=1ceb69a7-ecf4-47e9-a231-b74e0f0a9b62 ro radeon.modeset=1
lapic 3 init=/sbin/init.sysvinit

How can I protocol very early messages (I don't think it makes any
sense to activate systemd debugging [5] right now)?
Any advices for this?

Any idea on the Call-trace or digging into the problem?
Any help appreciated.

Kind Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/27/54
[2] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/npiggin/linux-npiggin.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/vfs-scale-working
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/systemd#KnownIssuesandWorkarounds: "Issue
#4: Warning: "/etc/mtab is not a symlink or not pointing to
/proc/self/mounts"
[4] http://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Usenativemount
[5] http://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Debuggingsystemd

P.S.: Mask systemd-remount-api-vfs.service

$ cd /etc/systemd/system ; ln -sf /dev/null systemd-remount-api-vfs.service