[systemd-devel] Questions/problems about distro integrating

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Sun Oct 17 03:39:53 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm experimenting systemd on Pardus. Pardus isn't a derivative of any distribution available so currently I'm patching various parts of the code following the DISTRO-PORTING guide. No problem in here.

But I'm having some glitches that I'd like to share and fix on the distro part.

systemd version: 11
kernel version: 2.6.36_rc6

1. swap.target always fails during boot. But once triggered after boot with systemctl restart, it succesfully enables the /.swap file. .swap file is on the rootfs which is an ext4 filesystem. I'm not too powerful with systemd but can this be caused by a read-only rootfs (so before remount-rootfs.target) while trying to enable swap.target?

2. I've written down a /etc/vconsole.conf and /etc/locale.conf. While plymouth is disabled, there's no problem about setting the fonts on tty's, their keymaps, etc. but once plymouthd is launched in initramfs, systemd-setup-vconsole somehow doesn't setup the tty's correctly. Running the helper manually after boot seems to fix the issue. I think the font doesn't seem to set correctly. What are the things that should be done for a smoother plymouth/systemd integration?

3. Is there a distro-independent package/database which keeps what font/keymap/consolemap/ should be set for a specific language? Actually where does the data in vconsole.conf should come from? How does Fedora sets up those data?

Thanks,
Ozan Caglayan