[systemd-devel] Questions/problems about distro integrating

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 25 15:15:50 PDT 2010

On Sun, 17.10.10 13:39, Ozan Çağlayan (ozan at pardus.org.tr) wrote:

Heya,

> 1. swap.target always fails during boot. But once triggered after boot
> with systemctl restart, it succesfully enables the /.swap file. .swap
> file is on the rootfs which is an ext4 filesystem. I'm not too
> powerful with systemd but can this be caused by a read-only rootfs (so
> before remount-rootfs.target) while trying to enable swap.target?

Unlikely.

Could you boot with systemd.log_target=kmsg systemd.log_level=debug on
the kernel cmdline please? Then, try to reproduce this and submit the
output of "dmesg" here!

> 2. I've written down a /etc/vconsole.conf and /etc/locale.conf. While
> plymouth is disabled, there's no problem about setting the fonts on
> tty's, their keymaps, etc. but once plymouthd is launched in
> initramfs, systemd-setup-vconsole somehow doesn't setup the tty's
> correctly. Running the helper manually after boot seems to fix the
> issue. I think the font doesn't seem to set correctly. What are the
> things that should be done for a smoother plymouth/systemd
> integration?

Hmm, interesting. Works fine here, even though we have plymouth.

Can you elaborate on what exactly doesn't work? Do they tools exit
cleanly? Do you get any kind of error?

> 3. Is there a distro-independent package/database which keeps what
> font/keymap/consolemap/ should be set for a specific language?
> Actually where does the data in vconsole.conf should come from? How
> does Fedora sets up those data?

vconsole.conf is something new, which however follows how this has been
done previously in the various distributions.

Most of the information is still stored in /etc/sysconfig/i18n
resp. /etc/sysconfig/keyboard. Both those files are read as fallback on
Fedora, to enable an easy upgrade path to the unified configuration
file.

The console fonts/keymaps/... are usually installed by the kbd or
kbd-misc package, that's where you can look for the available choices.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.