[systemd-devel] Running a systemd-based Gentoo system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 13 10:04:07 PDT 2010

On Wed, 08.09.10 10:37, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri (barbieri at profusion.mobi) wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 08:28:09AM -0500, Jack Byer wrote:
> >> If you mean "no, there are no plans to support that" then please just say so
> >> plainly.
> >
> > The two examples you've listed are supported already.
>
> Jack, did you check EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/xyz?
>
> if this file defines ABC=123, then you can use ExecStart=/path/to/app $ABC
>
> AFAIK the first ExecStart must be a full path to the binary and cannot
> come from envvars.

Yes, this is indeed the case. The path we execute must be a real
path. There's a bug open in rhbz to support env vars for that too, but I
am not sure this is really advisable, as this would make correct selinux
labeling of sockets on socket activation very fragile (i.e. we douln't
just query the db for the right label based on the exe path, since we
wouldn't know it that early).

So I am tempted to just say this is not supported and document this.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.