[systemd-devel] howto migrate some things to systemd

Michael Olbrich m.olbrich at pengutronix.de
Sun Apr 17 01:33:21 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate some stuff to systemd, but I have some problems
getting it right.
The scenario:
I'm cross-building root file systems. I try to do as much as possible
on the host system, but there is some stuff that needs to run on the target
when booting for the first time. I'm not sure how to integrate this with
systemd.
Some of the issues I have:
- With a classic init, the init-script just touches a file to indicate the
  one-time stuff is complete. Is there a better way for this with systemd?

- The system usually runs with a read-only mounted rootfs. I remount it
  temporarily for the one-time stuff. However this confuses other services
  that run at the same time.
  I'm not sure what's the best solution for this.

- One of the task is prelinking the whole system. This means all programs
  and libraries are modified, so nothing else should be running. And
  systemd must be restarted before the rootfs can be mounted read-only.
  Again I have no idea how to do this.

Any hints on how to do this?

Regards,
Michael Olbrich