[systemd-devel] X socket with logind and poly-instantiated /tmp

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Aug 18 05:00:40 PDT 2011

On Fri, 12.08.11 11:11, Tomasz Torcz (tomek at pipebreaker.pl) wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I noticed following message in logs today:
>  systemd-logind[15652]: Linked /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 to /run/user/tomek/X11/display.
>
>   I wonder how this is going to work with poly-instantiated /tmp dirs, as
> described at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FedoraPeopleConfig#polyinstantiated_tempdirs ?
>
>   I use poly-/tmp on most of my important machines.  By virtue of being
> important, they do not run latest development version of systemd ;)

This is currently not really used and implemented only rudimentally. The
logic here will be that we place a symlink if we can. If we can't we'll
place a file with a DISPLAY value instead. This is not only necessary
for the poly-instantiated /tmp,  but also for remote displays.

(tbh though I find the idea of a poly-instantiated /tmp quite broken)

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.