[systemd-devel] Linux Journal API/client lib

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sun Dec 4 16:40:17 PST 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 20:41, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have digested our discussion now. Two questions came up:
>
> The first one is a bit direct and blunt, my apologies for that. But I
> want to make sure I put effort into the right place. Do you see any
> benefit in an interface like I described (reading and writing the
> journal from the syslogd)? Or do you think this is a needless effort?

Oh sure, I think it can be very useful. We might need to find out how
to identify such a stream of data in the journal, or if we should make
it possible log things for a different machine-id. Your example like
the SOHO router which pushes out syslog data could possibly get a
machine-id assigned from the syslogd config that processes the data.
We need to find out the details ...

Syslog will not go away in many setups, the network log from other
hosts which speak syslog, real boxes or the specialized hardware like
a SOHO router, will speak the current syslog for a very long time in
the future. And we don't want to speak real syslog with the journal;
that's all stuff that should be done with syslog, and possibly if it
can act as a bridge to the journal index, it sounds like a very nice
option to have.

> The second one is on /dev/log: is what is provided to the syslogd just
> like "the real thing"? I am specifically concerned if SCM_CREDENTIALS
> will properly identify the log emitter.

We expect we are able to fake all the properties. If not we will need
to make that possible, we didn't look into the details as of now, but
the plan surely is to make /dev/log behave like it is without the
journald interception.

Kay