[systemd-devel] systemd stops booting

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sat Dec 17 08:07:59 PST 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:41, Sipos Ferenc <sipos.ferenc at bpokft.hu> wrote:
> I have a laptop with a dual boot and lvm setup, systemd works fine there. On
> my desktop machine, it stops booting after starting lock (mounting all
> partition), I can reboot with ctrl-alt-del (it complains about ck-log-
> start.service). The desktop machine has a special disk setup:
> ssd dmraid, with /, /boot and /home
> raid0 hdd setup with /var and another partition mounted under /home/user
> OS is Arch linux latest stable. Where can I find the systemd specific log
> file, how can I see what went wrong? Using rsyslogd, and common services like
> networkmanager, acpid, etc.
> With initscripts, it boots fine.
> Any help appreciated.

Dmraid and LVM setups are very distro specific, and the setup of them
is mostly a big dirty shell script hack. The problem is unlikely
systemd specific, it's probably just making the distro's sysv 'hack'
work on systemd systems; the timing is very different with systemd,
and many of the fragile things fail here which worked just fine on
sysv.

You better check with your distro, it's unlikely something systemd
upstream can fix or provide help for.

Kay