[systemd-devel] systemd as a session manager

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 3 12:10:16 PST 2011

On Thu, 03.02.11 20:11, Peeters Simon (peeters.simon at gmail.com) wrote:

> hey,
>
> first of all, sorry if this doesn't belong on the devel-list, but i
> couldn't find any other place to go with my question
>
> I am using systemd since v11 as init, but now i would like to also use
> systemd as a session manager (because gnome-session takes up more than
> half of my boot time), but i couldn't find any information on it
> except for some references to that functionality and a mail from
> lennart saying that it works with (back then) only a minor problem
> about cgroup permissions.

While you can run systemd per-user easily (just run systemd --user) we
haven't yet worked on adapting gnome-session to make use of this. Since
this requires changes in D-Bus, in GNOME and in some other places this
won't happen before the F16 timeframe however.

In short: while this kinda works, you cannot use this yet to spawn a
GNOME session, and making that work is still WIP.

So, sorry, but stay tuned!

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.