[systemd-devel] how disable fsck on swap+lvm

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Fri Feb 18 03:24:06 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> A little nitpick/question:
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos at frugalware.org> wrote:
>> [Unit]
>> Description=LVM activation
>> DefaultDependencies=no
>> After=udev-settle.service
>> Before=local-fs.target
>
> Is the Before=local-fs.target really necessary?
>
> Any mounts that will reside on the lvm will already be
> Before=local-fs.target, and in the case where automounts are used
> instead, I guess we do not want to wait for lvm before local-fs.target
> becomes available?

I think it makes sense. As long as no file system is using LVM (at
least, no filesystem, activated by default) there is no point to wait
for it.

> I have the same question about the different fsck services. They
> should clearly be Before=*.mount, but wouldn't it be better if they
> were not Before=local-fs.service?

Makes sense for the same reason. local-fs should wait only for
filesystems, activated by default; they should handle own dependencies
themselves.

As long as we re on theme ...

How to express interdependency between different virtual devices? I.e.
we have at least mdadm and device-mapper; mdadm is quite probably
assembled incrementally so there is no clear checkpoint we can wait
for; and LVM can use arrays managed by mdraid so it has to be started
after it. How folks are handling it in different distributions?