[systemd-devel] how disable fsck on swap+lvm

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 18 03:48:29 PST 2011

On Fri, 18.02.11 14:24, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:

> > I have the same question about the different fsck services. They
> > should clearly be Before=*.mount, but wouldn't it be better if they
> > were not Before=local-fs.service?
> >

> Makes sense for the same reason. local-fs should wait only for
> filesystems, activated by default; they should handle own dependencies
> themselves.
>
> As long as we re on theme ...
>
> How to express interdependency between different virtual devices? I.e.
> we have at least mdadm and device-mapper; mdadm is quite probably
> assembled incrementally so there is no clear checkpoint we can wait
> for; and LVM can use arrays managed by mdraid so it has to be started
> after it. How folks are handling it in different distributions?

The way for now is to do things how they always have been done,
i.e. just initialize one after the other with lots of wasted time in
between. On Fedora we still use a shell script for that copied out of
the old rc.sysinit.

In the long run all these things need to become dynamic and actively
watch for devices popping up. But this requires bigger changes in both
LVM and MD and we'll have to see when LVM and MD actually catch up with
this and make the change.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.