[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 25 07:23:27 PST 2011

On Fri, 25.02.11 16:00, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> Commit http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/commit/?id=80758717a6359cbe6048f43a17c2b53a3ca8c2fa
> declared separate /usr unsupported. What is really the reason for it?

It's just acknowledgment of the status quo. And most upstream projects
which are currently borked on /usr have no plans to fix that, because
they don't consider that a bug. And all we do is to warn the user about it.

> Are there any bug reports that lead to this decision?

There's no decision here. It's just a warning.

> What are existing systems supposed to do on update? Complete
> reformatting and reinstall?

Well, it hasn't been working correctly in ages. It's really not new
policy we came up with here. It's just a warning to the user that setups
like this will break. End of story.

Also see the README in systemd git about this.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.