[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Feb 26 08:09:03 PST 2011

On Fri, 25.02.11 13:35, Adam Spragg (adam at spra.gg) wrote:

> On Friday 25 Feb 2011 13:00:51 Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > Commit
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/commit/?id=80758717a6359cbe6048f43a17c
> > 2b53a3ca8c2fa declared separate /usr unsupported. What is really the reason
> > for it?
>
> This does seem odd. Might I also point out...
>
> >From <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEROOTFILESYSTEM>
>
> To boot a system, enough must be present on the root partition to mount other
> filesystems. This includes utilities, configuration, boot loader information,
> and other essential start-up data. /usr, /opt, and /var are designed such that
> they may be located on other partitions or filesystems.

Well, turns out no distro really follows the spec here, do they?

I think this is mostly wishful thinking by some folks who wrote the FHS,
and does not describe what really is.

> > Are there any bug reports that lead to this decision?
>
> No idea, but given that there are probably a fair few systems out there which
> currently have a separate /usr, I predict quite a few bug reports because of
> this change...

There is no change here. All we added is a warning about something that
was already broken.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.